So you are looking to adopt? AWESOME! Adopting a pet is one of the most amazing experiences that a person can have in their lifetime. CARA would encourage you to please visit: The American Humane's page "Are you ready to Own a Pet? to really make sure this is the right time for you to adopt.
Below is information about what to expect and how to go about your adoption:
- View our Available Dogs and Cats and if you see your new best friend....
- Please complete an adoption application. Click here to fill it out online. We use the application to determine not only if you will be a responsible pet owner, but to make sure you and the pet are a good match. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- We will contact you once your application has been received, usually within 48 hours - however we are all volunteers to please be patient. Application processing can take up to a week or sometimes longer.
- If approved, you will be asked to sign an adoption agreement that states you agree with the terms and conditions of the adoption.
- Our policy is that all adopted animals must be spayed or neutered before leaving the premises. If at any time an animal under the age of 4 months leaves our rescue group, the adopters must sign and agree to our spay/neuter contract. This contract states each adopter agrees to have the animal being adopted spayed/neutered by a veterinarian of their choice by the age of 4 months. As part of this contract an additional $100 deposit fee will be required. This deposit fee will be refunded upon verification of the spay/neuter contract. North Carolina has one of the worst pet overpopulation problems in the U.S. and the CARA Organization is doing its part to ensure animals leaving the rescue group do not contribute to this overwhelming issue.
- In some cases we will have special requirements for certain animals.
- In the event you can not keep your adopted pet, our contract requires you to return the pet to CARA for placement with another family.
Our adoption fees are:
- Dogs: $155
- Cats: $95
- Puppies under 4 months: $115 plus S/N Deposit: $100
- Kittens under 4 months: $70 plus S/N Deposit: $100
CARA is a non-profit organization; donations, special events, and adoption fees provide all of our revenue
The adoption fee includes:
- Spay or Neuter (over 4 months)
- DHLPP vaccination (canine)
- FVRCP vaccination (feline)
- Heartworm testing (dogs)
- Feline Felv/FIV testing (cats)
- Monthly Flea & Tick Preventative
- Monthly Heartworm Preventative (dogs)
- One month's free Pet health insurance